Friday, February 3, 2012

December in Patzun

I almost forgot how super busy December was! It was such a great month.


I had my first off road bike experience. Thomas, Luis and I rode our bikes about 20K to the Ixchimche ruins. We actually didn't get to go in and see the ruins, but enjoyed the trip.


My amazing basketball team threw a big surprise going away (for the holidays) party for me! Everyone brought something to share with the team. We ate lots of delicious food. Traditionally, everyone "dar-ed palabras" or shared words with me. This was definitely the highlight for me. My teammates and coach commented on my sportsmanship and team spirit. They mentioned how Patzun and Guatemala are not used to this type of comradery. More than winning two championships, I am proud that I was able to share sportsmanship and team spirit with my team. I guess the awkwardness of being the only one shaking hands before and after games, and encouraging my teammates to cheer paid off!


Birthday Festivities! Daddio was happy to remind me that I am now on the other side...closer to 30! Hector enjoyed this and continues to remind me.

 
Again, my amazing basketball team threw me a surprise birthday party! I got to play a game on my birthday, which we won. Unfortunate, minor injury- sprained ankle. And then the team came over with cake, drinks, and flowers!!


Hector's brother, Julio, organized a huge birthday lunch for me.  He brought delicious meat and tons of other food from Guatemala City. They all sang me happy birthday in English and in Spanish! And we ate another cake.

My site mates organized a delicious birthday dinner!  Laura made me hilarious t-shirts. Lyd gave me a cute shirt. Lhess got me the Glee Concert DVD! WUU!

Estela graduated from Nursing School in Antigua! After the ceremony, we went to her home in a village of Patun to celebrate with her family. It was touching how proud they were.

World AIDS Day!!  As I mentioned months ago, I have been working with the Social Worker from the Health Center.  Wtih funding from PEPFAR we organized a walk and forum for approximately 200 youth and 30 adults. 

 It was one of the most successful experiences I have had in my service.  I especially enjoyed the awareness walk through town. Everything was broadcasted on the local radio station. The students got involved, wearing matching t-shirts and preparing posters with messages. We handed out fliers to Patzuneros that were on the streets outside of their homes.
Lyd and I planned a surprise scavenger hunt for Lo's birthday!  It was a blast! Everyone got really into and were creative with their roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment