Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tour of My House

This is the view from the front door.  The kitchen is to the left, as well as my family's bedroom.  My room is straight back.  Can you see the chicken coop to the right?  Super close to my room! And that red bucket collects rain water, so when we do not have water I can use that. Here is the kitchen!  Obviously...or not obviously?!  We use either the stools or the straw mats to sit and eat.  Everything is cooked over a wood stove...that's where I can heat my water to bucket bathe.  Eating utensils are hard to come by.  I have learned how to eat soup and meat with my hands.

   This photo is taken from the entrance to my room.  Purple curtains to help block the bugs.  I always keep my windows open to help circulate the air so that mold does not grow (as much).  To the left are my cinder blocks and wood planks where I store my food and cleaning supplies.  The other piece of furniture is my favorite.  I bought it in the market for super cheap.  The man who sold it to me carried it on his back about five blocks to my house.  Then I painted it pink!  I try to keep everything a safe distance from the wall or propped up on a stool in attempt to avoid mold from growing on it. 

  My bed, make-shift dresser, emergency water bucket, dirty laundry "basket" hanging, and awesome shoe/holder thing that I bought in Antigua.

Another view of my bedroom.  I keep my bed in the center of my room in hopes to prevent mold from growing on it.  Make-shift night stand...Family photos...Spanish vocabulary...Sumpango neighbors wall- they drew me tons of pictures...Welcome sign from my host mother!


The small blue bucket next to the toilet is used to flush the toilet.  When we have water I get it from the big red bucket.  When we do not have water, I get it from the red bucket outside of the door to my room that collects rain water.  The medium sized blue bucket is used for bathing- same thing applies for the water supply.  I set the blue bucket on top of the toilet to bathe, then use one of the tiny buckets to pour the water over my head.  Clear? 

No comments:

Post a Comment