Saturday, January 22, 2011

diciembre

I keep forgetting to share this website with you:  http://www.zunal.com/webquest.php?w=74005.  This website is an account of an International exchange between a fifth grade Spanish class in Connecticut and a sixth grade classroom in a small village in Patzun, Guatemala. This connection was made through the World Wise Schools program in the Peace Corps organization.



Went to a PC Welcome Party at Lake Atitlan (with my site mates) to get to know the new group of volunteers.  First we had a safety and security meeting, then a murder mystery themed party.  Ironically, Molly and Arran had their annual murder/mystery party in New Zealand that same night.
I hosted a birthday lunch for Laura with 12 other PCV's!  Raquel and Hector helped me prepare for the celebration.  In the photo I am wearing the "delantal" or apron that Anacleto, Mary and family surprised me with for my birthday!  I love it!

PLAN DE VIDA CAMP!  For the past couple of months Lydia, Leonardo and I have been doing life skills presentations to this selected group of teenage leaders in the community.  Some of the themes included values, HIV/AIDS, family planning, healthy relationships, etc.  One weekend we went to Comolapa, which is about 45 minutes in bus to this camp area that a PCV created a few years ago.  The goal of the camp was that each teen left with a life plan as to what they would do regarding famliy, career and personal life over the next five plus years.
It was f-f-f-freeeeezzzing at night.  We had a campfire at night.  They wished me a Happy Birthday, played guitar and sang me a song- not the typical happy birthday song, but a different one.  Lyd and I went to bed when they started playing truth or dare.  I laid some pine on the ground, then my yoga mat, then a sleeping bag, wore ALL of my layers...and was still really cold!  I had a wonderful time with the youth and learned a few things that I would do differently in the future.

I did most of my Christmas shopping at the giant market in Chichicastenango.  It was super nice- a handful of people stopped by my house the day before I left with gifts to bring home to my family.  The gift exchanges at Christmas were exciting, sharing Guatemalan treasures, New Zealand riturals and obviously our American traditions. 
I absolutely love this photo! My team made it to the finals, which were played on Christmas evening at 6 pm.  I think that shows how important basketball is in this community.  Unfortunately I was not able to play because I was with my family in America, but I was there in spirit (taped onto a bag).  We ended up with a second place trophy.  Looking forward to next season which starts in February!

No comments:

Post a Comment