Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Dream Come True

I made it to Guatemala safe and sound!  I spent the first three days with a host family near the Peace Corps training center, learning the necessities about health and safety and being tested on my Spanish.  I have learned so much!

I moved to Sumpango on May 1st. I am currently living with Mom, Dad, three brothers (3,5,10), one ayudante or ¨helper¨, nine chickens and four birds.  My family said that my arrival was ¨a dream come true¨.  The family owns a hamburger restaurant in the center of town.  Most of their relatives all work at near by "tiendas" or stores.  Sumpango is a tight knit indigenous community, which is great for my safety.

Ah! I´ve been so busy...it´s hard to put it all into words. Not to mention my brain is trying to function in Spanish while I attempt to write in English on a Spanish computer.  Goodness!  I spend most of my days (Mon through Saturday) with my language group, consisting of three other Peace Corps Trainees (PCT)- Pedro, Kyle, and Christina.  We have the best language teacher- very patient, understanding, and intelligent.  This is great because I am definitely struggling with my Spanish.  I have learned SO much since I´ve been here.  I´ve been able to get up around 6 am and run in the mornings with a small group of other PCT.  Then I usually have language class from 8 to 3.  On Tuesdays our group of 52 PCT meet up for health, safety, and technical training.  I spend my evenings with my host family, practicing Spanish, learning how to cook Guatemalan meals (my mom LOVES to cook), studying Spanish, doing homework, and SLEEPING because the days are exhausting...in a good way.

Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. I can hear them over the roosters, barking dogs, fireworks, snoring, and honking horns throughout the night.  Guatemala is pretty loud.

Oh! Here is an updated mailing address
Maggie Kelly
Cuerpo de Paz
Apartado Postal 66
Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepquez
Guatemala 03001

Please send me an e-mail if you did send something to the previous address. Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment