Thursday, August 25, 2011

June 2011

Wow! I am so sorry. I did not realize how far behind I am. My bad. Let's see what I can remember.

My teacher/friend, Brenda, got married!

Look at all of this food!! Typical food served at festivities are chuchitos. It's like dough made from corn, with some spicy tomato sauce and surprise meat inside.  It's wrapped in a corn husk.  Then you can top it with hot sauce.  Ok...it's hard to describe how delicious it really is.

The US Ambassador came to Patzun with his family for Corpus Cristi!!  He invited us to spend the day with him.  It definitely helped build rapport in the community and was enjoyable getting to know more about his job.

CORPUS CRISTI!  This is the most famous holiday in Patzun.  Everyone fills the streets with rugs created from dyed saw dust and other objects, such as paper, fruits, etc.  We had card board cut out designs.  Then the Catholic Church passed with a procession.  Patzun is beautiful during this time.  A lot of Raquel and Hector's family members came in town for the celebration.  I have tons of photos of incredible rugs from this celebration.

We celebrated Dia del Maestro...I know most of you are fluent in Spanish, but those of you who are not- Day of the Teacher.  Two of my friends from town finished in the top three!

I went to visit my friend Michi. She has this amazing hike really close to her house.  The culturally sacred lagoon is called Chicabal.  It was a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment