Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tropical Storm Agatha

I apoligize it has been so long.  Thank you for your concern about the storm. It is very sad what Guatemala is going through right now...11 inches of rain in thrity six hours, 130 bridges out, 10s of thousands of people displaced, landslides, and much more.  One of our language professors house is destroyed. Our training group is trying to come up with ways to help out.  I have been totally fine throughout this entire storm.  PC Guatemala is the best when it comes to safety and security. They were constantly checking on my status throughout the storm.  I was required to stay in my house for 24 hours, mainly because they roads turned into rivers.  We lost electricity for a while, I had standing water in my room, and a pipe broke, so we do not have water for a while.  Oh! And I am scared of thunder even in the comfort of my home in the states.  In the big picture, I am totally fine.  Please do not worry about me.

Tomorrow I leave for Field Based Training in Totonicipan.  Field Based Training is the core of training.  The Youth Development volunteers spend a week training, learning, and preparing for what we will be doing for the next two years. We also have the opportunity to visit current Peace Corps volunteers and hear about their experiences.  Here is an abbreviated schedule of activities-
Monday-individual presentation on self esteem
Tuesday-help build a latrine
Wednesday- teacher training
Thursday- presentation for parents
Friday- HIV AIDS presentation
Saturday- radio presentation

I am looking forward to this week!  I wish I had more time to keep you updated with all of the excitement. I will do my best!

Please keep Grandpa Smart in your thoughts and prayers.  Thank you!

1 comment: